Saturday, March 6, 2010

Ruth



I would have loved to have returned from Kenya with some grand revelation or a story of how I heard the audible voice of God. I think that would be the hope of most people who go on a short term mission trip. It was mine! But during my trip to Kenya that wasn't the case. Even though I didn't have some kind of special revelation, God allowed me to see so much of who He is and how He is working in and through the lives of my Kenyan brothers and sisters. Through the interaction that I had with the people and hearing their stories God revealed himself.


One story keeps replaying in my mind. It's the story of Ruth. We met Ruth while going on home visits with Pastor Julius of 14 Falls Redeemed Gospel Church. Before we started visiting homes we met with Pastor Julius at the church. He told us that the homes that we would be visiting were the the ones with families struggling the most. These families are in the midst of dealing with extreme poverty and a drought that has seized Kenya for some time now. Pastor Julius and the volunteer staff at 14 Falls overflow with God's love and care for widows, orphans and vulnerable children, and we would soon see this first hand.


We left and began walking through a maze of shambas. A shamba is a small garden where the people grow produce for themselves. We followed a path that weaved in and out of shambas and homes until we reached the small mud hut where Ruth and her family live. Ruth is a single mom of 3 and works her land to provide for her children. She noticed that we were coming and ran into her hut to get seats for us. She welcomed us and through Pastor Julius introduced us to her children since she didn't speak english. You could tell that she was so proud of her children and loved them very much.


Pastor Julius began to share about Ruth's involvement at 14 Falls. Not only is she very consistent in her attendance but Ruth volunteers as the leader of the hospitality ministry. You could totally see her in this role because of how welcoming she was. Every week she comes to church early and welcomes the people as they enter. She talks with visitors and introduces them to other members of the church.


We continued to talk with her about her children and she prompted her son Samuel to sing for us. I watched her smile as Samuel sang and saw a joy in this woman that is missing in so many people. One of the ladies on the visit with me asked me to look up Psalms 127:3-5. It says this.


"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children are a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate."


Pastor Julius interpreted these verses to her and then asked that I pray for the family. As I prayed I could not help but thank God for the opportunity to meet with her. In this short visit God had revealed so much to me about how He is changing lives despite so many adverse situations.


In the midst of her extreme poverty Ruth knows what is most important. She sacrifices her time and effort volunteering at church. The time and effort that she spends at church could be spent working in her shamba or trying to provide more for her children, but she chooses to be consistent in her attendance and volunteer in helping make people feel welcome. Her life is changed and she is overflowing with love and joy that can only come from Christ. She doesn't get distracted by the difficulties she faces in life but remembers what is most important.


We could all learn something from Ruth. I know that I walked away knowing that I have no excuses for serving Christ with everything that I have. God deserves my praise and adoration in every situation. In times of abundance and in times of hardship. There are never reasons or periods of time in life to not serve and glorify God.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Unbound. Copyright 2012 All Rights Reserved